iPhoneography in Mexico

The Apple Distinguished Educators are one of our favorite groups to work with.  Being with them is like spending time with all your favorite teachers - the ones who changed your life. Last week, Bill and I were with them in Guanajuato, Mexico, taking pictures and teaching them about what we do. A lot of our work is complicated - very technical and time consuming.  Some of it isn't. We try to use the right tool for every job.  Sometimes that's a powerful Nikon DSLR, occasionally an extremely high end video camera, and sometimes our phones. We can do a lot with one iPhone. On this trip we wanted to focus on that workflow, showing our "students" everything that is possible with the phone they already own. We took a photo walk one day through Guanajuato.  It's an incredibly photogenic town.  There were pictures around every corner.

While Bill gave instruction on light, composition and technique, I followed the group with an iPhone and a small tripod. At the end of the walk, we presented everyone with this video.  It was done entirely on my iPhone 4 - shot, edited and exported on one device. Having an entire production studio in my hand is a powerful thing.

10 Responses to “iPhoneography in Mexico”

1. Erika says:

Awesome!!! Laura these are great pics!!! I liked your tripod I want one! 🙂

2. Chewy says:

Awesome! Thank you very much. That week in Guanajuato was a life changing experience. 😀

3. Diana says:

Laura, thanks for sharing your expertise in Guanajuato! Having a production studio in one hand…Wow! Hadn’t seen it that way!

4. Dvora says:

Thanks Laura for posting this. It was a wonderful experience and I learned so much from the week’s experience and have some great shots from the photo walk.

5. Laura says:

We had a great time with all of you in Guanajuato! I’m glad you enjoyed the post.

6. Stelphling says:

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. I had a wonderful time in Guanajuato, please stay in touch!!!!

7. Kyle Dickson says:

Bill Rankin came back to Abilene energized by the experience. I know Nil and I have very much appreciated the time you two invest in working with educators in so many venues. We’re now trying to share a little of that energy with faculty at ACU, in weekend workshops near Austin and some light painting closer to home. Thanks for the spark.

8. Irazi says:

Thank you, for sharing this and many other things with us. It’s inspiring to know what we can do with an iPhone!!!!

9. Martha says:

Laura it is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it !!